On 1st of April, 1579 István Báthory, King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania and Prince of Transylvania granted university status to the Jesuit college in Vilnius, thus he founded one of the oldest universities of Europe, the Academia et Universitas Vilnensi Societatis Jesu.
Two years later, on 12th of May, 1581, Báthory issued a deed of foundation in order to establish a Jesuit university (academia) within the framework of the local Jesuit college in Kolozsvár (present-day Cluj-Napoca, Romania). Due to its (Spanish, French, Italian, German, Polish and Hungarian) professors of European fame, from 1585 Báthory's academy was able to offer university-level education in the field of humanities and theology was taught at a high level too. The university was entitled to awarding scientific degrees and it was the only higher education institution in Hungary at that time.
In 1588 and then also in 1603 the Jesuits were expelled by the Unitarian citizens from their seat. In 1624 the expelled Jesuits established a grammar school in Kolozsmonostor and then also in Kolozsvár. From 1698 until 1784/86 not only theology but also humanities were available at university level in Kolozsvár. In accordance with the decree issued by Leopold I in 1698 the institution became an academia and it was given the name universitas by Maria Theresia in 1753. Right from the beginning of the 18th century the institution was entitled to awarding scientific degrees. In 1774 the Faculty of Law was established and medical training began in 1775.
In 1784/86 the university was downgraded to a liceum of higher education level but later on it was transformed into the Academy of Law and the Institute of Medical Surgery. These two institutions became the basis for the Hungarian Royal University of Kolozsvár established in 1872. In 1881 the university was renamed "Ferencz József" University and it was moved from Transylvania to Budapest in 1919 and then to Szeged in 1921.
In 1940 the university was divided into two institutions: a part of the former "Ferencz József" University moved back to its ancient seat, Kolozsvár while the other part of it, the majority of the teaching staff and the students, remained in Szeged and continued their work there.
The year 2000 was a mile stone in the history of our university, as it was then that the various higher education institutions of Szeged and the adjacent Hódmezővásárhely were united as the University of Szeged.
Based on the statement of the Committee on University History set up by the University of Szeged
Keydata of the University of Szeged
Official Name in English
University of Szeged
Official Name in German
Official Name in French
Université de Szeged
H-6720 Szeged, Dugonics tér 13.
Legal representative of the institution
(head of the institution)
Prof. Dr. László ROVÓ
Vice-Rector for Strategic and
Prof. Dr. Márta SZÉLL
Vice-Rector for Science and
Prof. Dr. Zoltán KÓNYA
Vice-Rector for Education
Dr. habil Klára GELLÉN
Vice-Rector for Foreign Affairs and Public Relations